Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 2: Kansas City to the Music City

Today’s trip wasn’t all that eventful, but (as usual) I have a few things I want to mention:

After an uneventful departure from KC, we decided to fill up 150 miles later in Columbia, MO.  Thirty seconds after I begin filling up for gas, a nice young man comes up to me and asks me if I’m interested in going to “an event” tonight in Columbia.  Before anyone gets too excited, this kid looked like he’d just left the Jehovah’s Witness meeting that had taken place in his parent’s basement and was told to approach the first 5 people he saw…and I was one of them.  After I explained to him that I would not be in Columbia and therefore didn’t want to take the invitation away from another, more available patron, he handed me some light reading by the titles of “the Truth and what they’re not telling you” and “Hell awaits the sinner”… (Now, at this point I hesitated and thought to myself: “I should just go to this meeting so I’ll have some fodder for the blog” Then I thought to myself: “This conspiracy theorist radical evangelical group might kill me after my first facetious comment and sacrifice my remains…better not…”) I responded with my thanks and then watched as he approached CM (I was giddy at this point, but unfortunately she just accepted the invitation and nothing happened…worst case)

Just passed Columbia, there is a little town called Lindbergh which I stopped in last year on my way back to Omaha from StL.  In this gas station the bathrooms are selling “Samurai Condoms” which claim to have “ninja strength.” Why any guy would be excited to buy a condom that implies anything that isn’t seen is beyond me, but for 25 cents it’s yours!

Next stop was in Mt. Vernon, IL where they are apparently no longer serving water products due to the flooding that’s taken place.  I would have been a little more upset if not for two things: 1.) they still served us beer and 2.) This town is home to 4 young boys who drive a Kia SOUL that asked CM…by flashing a sign in the car window…if she “wanted to F%#@”  (Note: she didn’t)

So while I’m still laughing hysterically from the previous events, we made our way a little farther East and South to Metropolis, IL which has the vaunted claim to fame of having the world’s largest Superman statue.  If not for my general disdain for DC Comics (and Southern IL), I would have stopped and taken a picture for our friend Bubs.

After exiting the Land of Lincoln, we found ourselves in “Kentucky: Unbridled Spirit” (lame slogan).  Call me crazy, but I didn’t realize how far NORTH Kentucky is.  It borders Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana…why are they considered a southern state?  Needless to say, I wasn’t impressed…Also, there wasn’t any blue grass to be found…if anything, it was more green than Southern Illinois

(Note: Southern Illinois is no good...for anything…It’s equivalent to Eastern Colorado (for those of you who aren’t privy, Eastern Colorado is akin to the 7th level of Hell))

The day ended with us eating at Chili’s in Brentwood, TN (it should be noted that we ate at Chili’s twice today…how dare you judge!) and CM complaining that the Walmart’s in Tennessee are not all-purpose stores.  They are, in fact, grocery stores that don’t sell anything other than what you might find at your local Safeway.  Stress is quite low (mostly due to Chili’s Original Honey Chipotle Crispy Chicken Fingers) so I guess that’s all for today!  Tomorrow I travel through Alabama by myself! Hopefully I’ll have a few people watching experiences to share.  I’ll try to blog tomorrow, but I meet up with my friend in Florida tomorrow and might just skip posting anything until later in the week.  As always, any delay in a post will result in a 
longer, more entertaining post later so don’t fret. 

Bis später!

No comments:

Post a Comment