Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Comedy, UFC, and The Burger Bomb...The Weekend that Was

Welcome back everyone^ I hope you all had a great weekend.  I want everyone up North to know that I'm a little (not a lot, but definitely a little) jealous that Fall has arrived where you're at.  It has always been my favorite season, and I hope you're all enjoying it.  Anyway...onto the weekend:

This weekend was a busy one!  Starting on Thursday (which I’m aware is not the actual weekend, but bar with me), I went with some co-workers to a place called “The Freezer.” The decor reminded me of a bar back in Sioux Falls, SD called Borrowed Bucks Roadhouse in that there was quite a bit of corrugated metal and they were no-nonsense.  The place does not employ a service staff nor is there a formal menu…only some paper plastered to banisters with menu items written in magic marker.  As a table we had roughly 5 pounds of Cajun-style shrimp on the table and a full order of crab legs. Overall, I couldn’t have been happier.

Friday, we (2 couples, a brother, and myself) went to Ocala, FL which is about 20 minutes away from where I’m at to watch a comedy show which LA (one of my co-workers) won on the radio.  The early comedians in the show were pretty bad…one in particular had no business being on stage…anywhere…ever (he was from Wyoming.  Sorry BS).  The headliner, though, was absolutely hilarious.  He was a former drug addict who told us that he is always approached after shows to be told that he looks like some kind of character or celebrity.  Now, it should be said, that this man is not a good looking man.  He likened himself to Gollum from Lord of the Rings, but I didn’t really see the resemblance.  No, I’d say he was more of a combination of a strung-out Bradley Cooper, mixed with the Bitter Beer Face guy from the Keystone Light commercials in the 90’s…are you picturing this yet?  Now take those looks and mix in the mannerisms of Brickma from the movie Rookie of the Year? I’ll give you a minute to remember your childhood (or google it)…got it!  To say the least, he was hilarious. 

After the comedy club, we went to a frozen yogurt place called Mochi (at the insistence of AM, a PTA in the clinic I work at) where you can pick from 8…count ‘em 8^ different flavors of yogurt (including but not limited to: pecan praline, cake batter, pistachio, and something called coco-nilla which was pretty, pretty good) and put on as many toppings and you could find (which I did with a fervor that has yet to be mached).  It’s all self serve, so I took my time by adding brownie pieces, peanut butter sauce, and a slew of other toppings.  My time management was a little lacking…which didn’t sit well with the increasingly long line behind me. At the end of the line, you weigh your cup so they can charge you by the ounce…mine was 17oz…and it was delicious.  I’ll be back there roughly once a week from now on…obviously

On Saturday, LA, JK, and I decided to go down to Tampa to eat at Tampa Bay Brewing Company and then go to a sports bar to catch the UFC fights. (side note: LA is a co-worker as I mentioned before, but JK is her boyfriend…he also happens to have graduated from Creighton’s DPT program 2 years ago…and he is dating LA.  Good things.)  Upon arrival at TBBC, I instantly had to try the Oktoberfest.  Yes, it was great, but it was not the star of the trip…the star of the trip is seen in the photos below.  It’s name is the Burger Bomb and let me tell you that I’ve never been more excited to eat anything in my whole life.  Since it’s their burger, I’ll let just copy the description from the menu:

Burger Bomb – ½ pound burger with bacon, cheddar, French fries, and onion rings wrapped in our own pizza dough and finished with a side of our horseradish ale sauce.




Putting it into terms that Nebraskans will appreciate: it’s a Runza that’s been injected with a heavy dose of awesome.  It was an absolute pleasure to devour this thing.  Upon being served, the bartender told us that not only was the burger delicious, but he was impressed and proud of us for having the gall to order it.  After finishing it, I was absolutely starving…clearly…so I was forced to order hot wings at the sports bar we went to afterwards.

And that’s it for the weekend happenings!  The fights were good, the food was good, and the company was fantastic…all in all it was another great weekend!  I’ll try to get a post in on Tuesday as I’ll be at the Rays vs Yankees game at “The Trop.”  Depending on the travel situation, I might be able to get a post written on the drive back to Citrus County…note how I said might.  Alright, I'm tired.  Everyone have a good night and I'll see you back here Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment