Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rainy Season Rants

Not a whole lot of stories worth telling over the past few days…so here are a few rants instead:

Rant #1:
                This state absolutely shuts down when it rains!  I’ve never seen a set of drivers who operate their automobiles so erratically: in perfect conditions, these people drive 20 over, swerve in and out of traffic, and lay on the horn if you can’t keep up.  In rain, they all drive so over-the-top conservatively that it takes an EXTRA 20 minutes to get anywhere in the county (it typically only takes 15 minutes total to get anywhere)!  To make matters worse…only half of them have their lights on while they’re driving in the pouring rain…and those are the ones who cut you off while simultaneously slamming on their brakes!  (For those of you who aren’t aware, I have a little road rage that tends to come out once in a while)  All of this wouldn’t be so bad…but it’s the “rainy season” down here so every morning there seems to be a driving rain that leads to a driving catastrophe on my commute to work (see what I did there?). 

Rant #2
                As I mentioned above, it’s the rainy season down here and as far as I can tell, there has ALWAYS been a rainy season in Florida.  You’d think that a state that has an entire season devoted to water falling from the sky would have some kind of an idea on how to properly drain it all.  Instead, they allow every intersection along the highway to pool up at least a foot deep…and the same goes for the shoulder …the drainage in this county makes Omaha’s snow removal look efficient…(insert smarmy joke about 2004 election here…too soon?)

Rant #3
                There is a guy wears sunglasses while he works out at the gym I joined down here...when did this become kosher?  I wouldn't even ever THINK to do this...let alone actually DO it...this leaves me a bit befuddled.  Is there a reason to forgo traditional eye wear and put on aviators to go do biceps curls in front of a mirror?  Is this a Florida thing?  Is this just some tool who in no way represents a new trend?  These are the questions, and I need answers! I don’t know why this bothers me, but it does…if anyone can shed some light on this, please leave a comment below or email me.  

That’s it for the rants this week…I have a feeling I’ll have more as my time down here progresses. Thanks again to all of you who submitted stories for Story Corner Thursday.  This week’s story comes from ES in Las Vegas, NV.  If you have any stories after this weekend, feel free to send them my way and we’ll get them going for next week’s story.  Also, don’t forget to submit any questions or comments you have for “Correspondence Tuesday” which is one week from today…submit those to zacharywermers@creighton.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment